The Dream Job

 

I thought being a music teacher would be my dream job!

I possess a natural talent for music, which was almost inevitable. Both my mother and father were skilled singers and instrumentalists. Consequently, all of us children in the family have thrived musically. At my mother's funeral last year, my two younger sisters performed. It was evident that they both have a remarkable capacity for pitch matching, a skill not to be underestimated, as many individuals never receive formal music training and find this fundamental musical skill challenging.

Growing up, I received numerous awards in music from public schools. My decision to pursue music was greatly influenced by my choir director, piano teacher, and theater director.  I loved performing with other students blending our voices together.  

In the 80s, the common advice was to pursue a college degree. This was particularly emphasized by my father, who often said, "An education is something that no one can take away from you."

I could sprint like Forrest Gump, which earned me a full scholarship to college. Now, I was pondering which degree to pursue. I spent four summers as an electrician's assistant with the Army Corps of Engineers. I found pleasure in working on electrical items, elevators, and fish hatcheries. Earning five dollars an hour was quite generous at the time. I truly appreciated the camaraderie of working alongside down-to-earth individuals. As high school came to an end, I found myself torn between pursuing a career as an electrician or a music educator. My father dismissed the idea of becoming an electrician with a single remark, "You'll be a common blue-collar worker." Meanwhile, my choir and piano teachers were appalled that I hadn't secured a college placement yet, exclaiming, "Teddy, you may have already missed your chance!"

I had planned to join the military and train as an electrician until I received a phone call that offered me a scholarship to attend a prestigious college.  I jumped at the chance and received a double major in music. I had always dreamed of conducting a large choir, creating beautiful harmonies. That dream did come true, but it came with a catch.  I also had to perform many other duties that I despised.



The concept of a 'dream job' may not truly exist; rather, it's about finding a job where you can spend most of your time doing things you enjoy. The role of a public-school music teacher extends beyond instruction; it encompasses administrative abilities as well. One must manage and coordinate music festivals, organize and conduct recitals, and serve as a community liaison. Additionally, overseeing fundraising activities is essential due to limited budgets and scarce funding for the arts.  I loathed this part of my job.  I loved teaching music.  

The aspects of my job that I once found enjoyable dissipated rather swiftly over the course of my final three years in teaching. I was aware that my entrenched battles with the current administration made me a challenging teacher for them, but I consistently did a good job teaching music to the students. In my last three years, I became the teacher who took on substitute roles and managed in-school suspension. I despised every aspect of my job.

The upper administration had removed all the aspects of my job that I enjoyed. What to do? I'd explored other teaching positions within my state, yet they are located in extremely rural areas and come with considerable pay cuts. In more populated areas, music teachers coveted assignments, and if they resigned, the position was typically filled internally. I looked at my retirement package and noticed that it was generous. I would be earning monthly what I used to make working full-time.  Can I really be forced to retire in my 50s?  The answer is-oh, yeah.

I tried to show you a YouTube clip- Mr. Holland loses his job.  Disney blocked it. Arrg  The only part that I didn't like about the movie was Mr. Holland and Rowena. Creepy.

The realization that my working years had a limit never struck me. My brother-in-law retired in his 50s, which seems unusual, doesn't it? Boeing underwent some changes, and now my friend in Seattle has embarked on a second career. What's going on?

While I was considering my options, I faced bullying from a new administrator. He had been demoted from a previous role due to misconduct. His aggressive approach to administration nearly led to a physical confrontation with me at the start of school.  When I sought justice through HR and my union, I was given a verbal reprimand. Nevertheless, he ceased his behavior until the end of the year when I retired.

This is where the concept of a lifelong passion begins to unravel. The concept of a 'dream job' can indeed be transient. As individuals grow and their lives change, what constitutes a dream job may also evolve. The idea of a lifelong dream job is becoming less common, with many people now viewing dream jobs as temporary and adaptable to their current life stage and goals.  The job that brought me joy for many years eventually became plagued with cronyism and a sense of stagnation.  

In upcoming blogs, we'll discuss finite opportunities and financial management. A few prudent decisions eased the transition into my unexpected early retirement. A generous gift from my in-laws inspired my wife and me to pay off our mortgage ahead of schedule. Influenced by Larry Burkett and Dave Ramsey's teachings, we eliminated all our remaining debts. I was dismayed by my first paycheck in the 90s due to the numerous deductions, particularly the TRS reduction of over 8 percent, which was for a future pension that I might receive. When I was young and starting a family, I wanted the money then. Certainly not for an elderly person in a distant future. I was mistaken. The money I invested has proven to be a lifesaver, and I am not as old as I thought.

2 comments:

  1. Ted, I agree with your statement that "it's about finding a job where you can spend most of your time doing things you enjoy". Most often nowadays, people move from one job to another to stay in that 'zone'. I wish it were still about loyalty to a company, but companies are no longer loyal to employees. Times have changed and so must we, in this capacity. I recently had to leave a job I loved. The new CEO was corrupt. I may not find a new "dream job" but I do hope to find something worthwhile of my time and talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your comment Annette. You are the first! I enjoy my new job of watching my sweet grandson. Also, I am not opposed to going back to work to use my time and talents.

      Delete

My Quest for Truth

Why Movie Attendance is Dropping

  Let's Go to the Movies! When I was around ten years old some of the best movies ever made were put on the big screen.  In fact, I reme...

Everything is Dirt