Everything is Dirt

 




The two items depicted in this image are the primary subjects of discussion today.

The "forever home" that I recently sold, along with the reliable SUV.  Over the years, I've owned numerous cars and lived in various houses, yet none have become my forever home.  Initially, I was really impressed with the house's expansive four-lot yard.  Then, for 22 years, I mowed and cared for it.  Instead of feeling proud, I ended up feeling exhausted. What happened to my American Dream?

The same issue happened with a Highlander Hybrid I had while living at this address. I appreciated the power of a car equipped with two electric motors and a gasoline engine. However, it dawned on me that should this car break down, there would be no one available to repair it.  I live in an expansive state with few urban areas.  I sold my dream car and purchased the gas-powered Highlander shown in the picture above.

Both of my American Dream things did not work out.  I now reside in a smaller townhouse with a small yard in a less populated area. Many people are feeling that they are missing out on the most important things in life as they become more and more expensive. It's a lie.  I've come to the realization that everything surrounding me is artificially created.  That is, dirt.

Visiting a town in Hibbing, Minnesota, I was struck by the stark reality of its role in producing iron ore for cars. A transparent box with this ore said this is your car before the next step in the process. Today, people are accruing a monthly debt of a thousand dollars per month for specially crafted soil. All the machine does is gets you from point A to point B. 

We worked on the house mentioned above during the 22 years that I resided there..  I needed to remove the steel plumbing and replace it with PVC and PEX.  What a mess.  The place needed new roofs on the house garage and shed. Friends assisted me in replacing them to save cost. We hired a professional to renovate the bathroom. Ouch!  The basement constantly leaked. My uncle and I replaced the old knob and tube wiring in the house, and we hired a professional to handle the attic. We were unable to locate replacement parts for the furnace, so it's goodbye.  The same with all of the windows.  What's my point with this?

Some American Dream, eh?

Many people will tell you that owning a home and having a great car epitomize the American Dream. Really?  Everyone is that shallow?

Our new townhouse was advertised as low maintenance, which is quite amusing. We have already put a lot of work and money into this place. Appliances eventually wear out and are discarded, returning to the earth from which they were made. They seemed fine to both me and the inspector but were replaced two years later.  More like the "American expensive nightmare."  The new neighbors next door insisted on a newroof as part of their agreement. So, there goes $10,500 from my retirement savings. I might have waited five years, but a partially completed roof could make selling this place more difficult in the future.

It's all dirt that slowly wears out and falls apart unless you throw a lot of money and work at it. That sweet ride you have will slowly or quickly fall apart according to how you drive.  If you reside in a house for a couple of decades, you will likely replace almost everything within it, including the floor.

I'm simply Mr. Cheerful, aren't I? So, what is your point, Theodore?

My assertion is that you've been deceived. The essence of the American Dream is freedom—the liberty to pursue whatever you're passionate about. Fancy living in a tent on the Northwest shore of Oahu? You're at liberty to do just that. Prefer a cabin in the Montana mountains on a plot of land you call your own? There's nothing to prevent you. America has fostered a culture where desires are homogenized; everyone covets what the others do. Peculiar, isn't it? Where did the hallmark of American individualism go?

The reality is that we all need a place to call home. The younger generation may not choose the homes we've lived in for a while. We've rented four dilapidated houses, purchased a $5,000 mobile home from 1978, and even used my parents' RV in our search for a home. Watching these absurd TV shows—more on those later—where buyers reject a house because of wallpaper or wall color is baffling. That's precisely why we would never renovate to sell. People today might just redo our renovations if they're influenced by these shows.

Indeed, calculations by financial experts reveal that the choice between buying and renting a primary residence may not yield significant financial gains. This is somewhat analogous to receiving a large tax refund from the IRS; it's essentially the government holding onto your money without interest for a year. Landlords typically realize profits only upon selling their additional properties. Managing rental properties requires financial acumen and dealing with tenant-related issues. For instance, if a tenant damages a pipe or an appliance breaks down, it becomes the landlord's responsibility to address these issues. Moreover, landlords can face considerable stress during periods when tenants are legally protected from eviction, despite non-payment.

Realizing the truth, purchasing a five-bedroom, six-bathroom house just because a loan officer assures you it's within your budget means more money and effort for us. What use would we have for four additional bedrooms at this moment? A house is essentially a collection of processed dirt designed to shield us from the elements. That's the basic truth. Imagine asking a neighbor, "Do we inhabit more costly dirt than you?" Does this concept exist? Consider saying, "Behold, our collection of dirt is larger than yours." One might advise, "Continue maintaining it, or your structure will collapse."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Quest for Truth

Why Movie Attendance is Dropping

  Let's Go to the Movies! When I was around ten years old some of the best movies ever made were put on the big screen.  In fact, I reme...

Everything is Dirt