How long will my Toyota last?

 






This represents the world's most common car, offering basic, affordable transportation from point A to point B.


Over the years, we've owned and traded more cars than I'd care to admit. It's likely that some of the cars we've sold are still on the road. However, for the last two decades, I've been loyal to Toyota vehicles after a Pontiac Bonneville almost caused us financial disaster. A friend assisted me in restoring a 1995 Camry; I would debate that he is one of the best Toyota mechanics in our state. While I'm not a Toyota expert, I could argue that a couple of my friends are. One of them is particularly fond of the Prius, replacing their battery packs to either drive them for an additional 100,000 miles or sell them.

I can provide quite realistic details about their longevity in terms of miles and years. Additionally, I can share which ones have made the most significant impression on me.

What Kind of Driver are You?:  The answer to that question can dictate the longevity of even the most well-designed car. Driving in a manner akin to Cruella DeVille from "101 Dalmatians" will rapidly deteriorate any vehicle. If you're unfamiliar with the film, it's comparable to driving as if you're rushing a woman in the final stages of labor to the hospital without knowing the location.

Nowadays, I adopt an extremely defensive driving style. I accelerate smoothly and predict changes in traffic lights. My 2006 Highlander, which I've owned for seven years, is still in excellent condition. The brake pads are at 40 percent, and I'm only now in need of new tires. Purchased with 99,000 miles in 2017, it now reads 135,000 miles. Since retiring two years ago, I drive the SUV roughly 5,000 miles annually or less. Typically, my Toyotas easily reach 200,000 miles. So, could this vehicle last another 11 years for me? The answer is no, and I'll explain why shortly.

Do You Garage your Car? Seems like a silly question, eh? In my neighborhood, I go for walks, not as often as I should, with my wife and dogs. The area is a large circle, about half a mile in circumference. Most of the townhouses feature double car garages, yet the sleek, shiny, late-model cars are parked outside. What's the deal? Apparently, some residents leave their garages open for reasons unknown, and inside, they're filled with boxes and clutter that wouldn't fetch a profit on Storage Wars. 

I've observed that the paint on the Camry stored in the garage remains in much better condition compared to the Highlander parked outside. Indeed, our townhouse was more affordable due to its oversized single garage. I wasn't prepared to spend an additional 50 to 80 thousand dollars solely for an extra garage space. While I could have, I preferred to reserve more funds for emergencies. Moreover, the extreme cold of 30 below zero that we experience for a few weeks each year must be detrimental to any vehicle left outdoors.

In the long run, which holds more value? An old Sears exercise bike, a Bi-flex Machine, an assortment of boxed-up knick-knacks, or a $50,000 SUV or $30,000 sedan? What seems amiss here? If you own a nice garage, it's wise to store the second most costly purchase most individuals make. Some people might choose to put their transportation device on display for the peeps. However, it's improbable that many people are that superficial, as it would be misguided to believe anyone is concerned with the vehicle you drive to places like Wendy's or Costco. I've understood for a long time that all you need for status is a pen, even though no one witnesses the stress over your car payments!

When I bought the Highlander, the owner kept it in the garage, and I could tell.  The thing looked brand new at 11 years old. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to garage it since and it is deteriorating more quickly I've noticed.  

OK. Here's my experience with Toyotas since about the turn of the century.

1989 Toyota Camry Wagon:


1989 Toyota Camry Wagon DX

We acquired this car from a kind elderly couple at our church. They agreed to let us pay in installments since the 1999 Pontiac Bonneville had depleted our finances. My wife had an aversion to the automatic seat belts that came standard with these cars. Despite having 230,000 miles on it, the car looked as pristine as the picture above when we purchased it. It was a comfortable ride, and we drove it everywhere. It proved to be adaptable for all our needs. Sadly, 'Baby Blue' began to overheat after reaching 250,000 miles. I checked the head gasket, which was starting to fail, so I kept driving it while I shopped for another engine. I managed to extend its life to 277,000 miles. Then, I bought a 1995 Camry for $1,500 and advertised the old car with a sign in the rear window at Walmart. A woman approached me to buy it before I could even leave the lot. For years after, I would see her driving the old car around town. 

1995 and 1996 Toyota Camry:

The car may not have been photogenic, but it was impressive in person. During a state-wide trip, I found it for $1500. Its shiny black exterior paired with a beige interior appeared nearly flawless. The previous owner had purchased it for a teenager who overrevved the engine in the snow. To my astonishment, the car started up silently, as if it were new. The seller demonstrated that the engine light blinked at a certain rpm—a smart observation. At the time of purchase, the car had just over 100,000 miles. I replaced the engine with one from a wrecked Camry that had 88,000 miles. It took my friend and me roughly three days to install. 

The car's refinement was notable for its era, driving like a Lexus in comparison to the '89 Camry. The four-cylinder engine delivered robust power, and the car's construction felt solid. Of all the cars I've worked on, this Camry was the most user-friendly and well-designed. When my daughter went off to college, I gave her the car, which by then had clocked well over 200,000 miles. She once called me after an incident with a concrete barrier on her college commute, thankfully unscathed.  Taking the car to the nearest junkyard and removing all its contents felt like bidding farewell to a loyal old friend.


I spotted an ad in the newspaper for a 2006 Toyota Camry with 260,000 miles priced at $350. The car's rear struts were shot, and it had a significant leak from the valve cover gasket. Fixing the valve cover gasket was "been there done that" for me. I intended to use this car for my youngest daughter's high school commute. A friend with a spring compressor installed the new struts.

 After that, the car was set and ran exceptionally well. It was surprising how well this car performed after 260,000 miles. I was eager to see it surpass 300,000 miles. Some say that even Japanese cars break down long before reaching such a high mileage without major commuting. This car wasn't burning oil, though it had a minor leak from the oil pump seal. Then one morning, at about 275,000 miles, my daughter called to say she'd been rear-ended on her way to school. It was more than a minor bump; a teenager in a large Chevy truck, distracted by his radio, had crumpled the bumper into the back seat. Our plans were foiled once again.  His insurance company gave us a check for 2000 and called it a day.  




1999 Toyota Camry:


The $2,000, combined with other funds we had, enabled us to buy a 1999 Toyota Camry for $3,600 with 118,000 miles on it, identical to the one pictured above. Initially, I wasn't fond of this car compared to its predecessors. It lacked the refined feel of a Lexus and seemed to have a lower seating position than the earlier Camry models. Nevertheless, it proved to be a dependable vehicle, requiring no repairs as we continued to drive it. 

When my youngest daughter needed a car for her sophomore year of college, the Camry had reached 200,000 miles. I performed a major tune-up: new hoses, belts, fluids, spark plugs, coils—everything. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a waste of energy and money. That summer, while heading to a wedding before my daughter's second year, an old man with a large, homemade wooden structure on his pickup truck backed into the side of the car. You can probably guess what the insurance company decided to do. Meanwhile, my father has a similar model that's still running somewhat with 360,000 miles on it.





2006 Toyota Corolla:

We purchased this car after adopting Dave Ramsey's aggressive debt-free strategies, which rapidly boosted our savings. It's often when we save diligently that the best opportunities arise. The art teacher from across the hall mentioned her small car, declaring her disdain for manual transmissions. Curious, I inquired about the mileage. "50,000 miles," she replied. We promptly acquired her compact vehicle for $4,500. 

It was a peppy little car. Having grown up driving manuals, including the classic 'three on the tree,' we enjoyed some humorous moments teaching our eldest daughter to drive it. The car became a family favorite, eventually becoming the go-to vehicle for my youngest daughter. Remarkably, it never required any repairs. Tragically, while she was driving back to college in a snowstorm, she was rear-ended by an over-speeding driver on the interstate. Thankfully, she escaped with only minor whiplash. The at-fault driver's insurance compensated us with more than what we had paid for the car, which had only reached 60,000 miles before it was declared a total loss. It was quite disheartening. 

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid: ;

There was a plethora of these Highlander Hybrids for sale in my surrounding area in 2017.  They had reached 100,000 miles and that's when a lot of people replace their cars for some reason.  I saw one nearby that the seller wanted 15,000 bucks for the 11-year-old SUV with 187,000 miles on it.  I laughed at that price.  However, I saw one with around 100,000 miles for 11,000 dollars an hour away.

 It was just like the picture above. I was astonished that this vehicle had a new price tag of $39,000 back in 2006. That amount of money was significant back then, though not as much today. The price was within our cash budget. The earlier Camrys' Lexus-like feel had returned in full force. This car possessed an incredible torque upon initial acceleration, unlike any car I had previously owned. It was the first car I drove purely for enjoyment. Yet, my frugal driving on the highway to achieve 35 miles per gallon would drive my wife to distraction. She would exclaim, "I'll pay for the extra fuel, just drive it!"

  The vehicle was both powerful and luxurious. Yet, obtaining a clear answer regarding the longevity of the hybrid battery pack was challenging, even from YouTube personalities. The question remains, what is the lifespan of the SUV's battery? My goal was to drive this vehicle for 250,000 miles, despite experts claiming, "They won't last that long." Residing in a large state with predominantly rural areas, the replacement cost for the battery pack was a staggering $6,800 at that time. Moreover, most mechanics were reluctant to service a vehicle with a potentially lethal 288-volt system.

I had saved $10,000 for repairs, yet the vehicle continued to run with minimal maintenance. I grew too fond of it and chose to run it until it was no longer viable. With the saved funds, I purchased a gas-only model as a backup in case of a costly failure. My wife exclaimed, "You are so ridiculous!" However, the money was already set aside. I began to replenish the fund once more. She, too, enjoyed the SUV. Then, upon retirement, I found myself with two SUVs, a sedan, and a small Toyota pickup I had inherited. Regretfully, I sold the reliable SUV for $6,500 with 160,000 miles on it as part of an effort to downsize and save money.

Last summer, I purchased a hybrid vehicle for $600, mainly for parts, which had been roughly handled by a teenager. Despite having 230,000 miles, it was severely neglected, with utterly worn brakes and suspension components. Surprisingly, it started without issue, and I was able to drive it to the junkyard to remove the alloy wheels.

As of today, this is the finest car I have ever owned. Realizing they are still on sale with over 200,000 miles makes me feel silly. Owing to their unassuming exteriors, the true quality of these cars often goes unrecognized, both in past and maybe present models.
 
2006 Toyota Highlander Limited:

This is the car I drive today.  It has the reliability and versatility of the hybrid version without the power, economy, or weight. I decided to keep it as it had 30,000 fewer miles than the hybrid version and came with a hitch for towing U-Hauls, boats, and other items, which has proven to be useful. When you drive this car, it is hard to believe that it is 18 years old as of this writing. Everything except the battery and alternator is original!  How long could this machine last with routine maintenance?  It won't and I will tell you why shortly.  
  
2010 Toyota Sienna Van:
I can't recall the exact time I purchased this van, which is quite embarrassing. I owned it for a mere months before hastily parting with it. It had around 100,000 miles on it. All I can say is that the machine seemed to despise me. Despite the high praise from other owners regarding its quality, my experience was different. Within the first month, I had two-wheel bearings fail—yes, two. Mysterious phantom codes would flash on the dashboard, beyond my understanding. The 3.5-liter engine exhibited significant piston slap upon startup, which, despite reassurances from the Toyota dealer, did not sit well with me. 

The last straw came when I was left stranded in a snowstorm, forced to dismantle the air intake and EPA-mandated components to replace the starter. As snow chilled my neck, I muttered to the van, "You hate me." I promptly sold it to a family for the same price I paid. Many experiences have taught me that such vehicles don't improve with time. It's best to sell them and move on. My experience was so disappointing that I will steer clear of any Toyota equipped with the 3.5-liter engine. It's astonishing to see these vehicles surpassing 200,000 miles.  Did they fix the piston slap issue on later models?


2013 Toyota Corolla:
I came across a small car listed for sale online for $10,000 as I grew tired of driving my inherited 22R pickup, which kept backfiring despite a carburetor replacement, startling those around. It was hilarious to see people's reactions, though. I managed to purchase the car for $8,300. Ah, those were the days. The car had roughly 80,000 miles on it. I was fond of the car but didn't keep it long due to finding the Camry mentioned below. I ended up giving it to my youngest daughter as a college graduation gift. My eldest daughter had the option but declined. Now, she uses it to drop off my adorable grandson every day.


2014 Toyota Camry:
There was an estate sale near our home where a Camry was listed for \$11,000. I bought the car with cash for \$10,500. It had about 20,000 miles on it—quite low for a 2014 model. As of today, it has just surpassed 50,000 miles. The 2.5-liter motor moves the vehicle around with good power.  It has been just as reliable as the other Camrys.  

There is only one annoying flaw with the design of this car.  Look how low the front bumper is with a [plastic splashguard attached with plastic tabs.  The sporty looking bumper is too low for some curbs where we park.  Later, while cruising down the highway, we hear a loud scraping noise and discover that the front bumper is damaged and the plastic splashguard is dragging on the ground, having been torn from the plastic tabs. This has happened to us the last 5 years over and over. If maintaining your car's aesthetic appeal is as important to you as it is to us, this design flaw will certainly be irritating. 

The dilemma is that spending a hefty $3,800 to replace the bumper will likely lead us back to the same situation in five years. The issue arises silently due to its delicate nature, making it all too easy to recur. This car, assuming no accidents occur, should easily surpass 200,000 miles with just basic maintenance. Knowing this, I won't replace a front bumper on a basic sedan that often because it is not cost effective.  The same bumper issue that effects the Camry effects the Corolla mentioned above and was resolved by my daughter for more than half the price I paid for the car!  

This concept of how easily late model cars are damaged ties into why we most likely will not drive any car more than 10-15 years or 200,000 miles.  Calm down. I can see people that commute to work gearing up to debate. Also, people, like me, that work on their cars- yikes! faces are turning red. Let's explore reality. 

Bad Drivers: We've always had bad drivers gunning their vehicles around.  However, after covid there has been a shift to lawless driving on the level this writer has never seen. Maybe someone could do a research project on this issue. 

 Perhaps it's that we have found ways to make cars more fuel efficient, yet powerful which makes these steel transportation missiles more dangerous? Perhaps fuel is still way too cheap for the average consumer if they can jet their gas-guzzlers around like this?  Perhaps car insurance needs to get prohibitively expensive for folks that drive like their hair is on fire? I don't know.

Every time I drive, I observe reckless behavior on the roads with seemingly little repercussion. Just a few days ago, my wife saw two large trucks racing and intentionally ignoring a red light. Recently, a young man sped through a parking lot and nearly collided with us as we were reversing out of a space. 

Additionally, I receive rude gestures from people if I cause them any delay.  Impatient drivers pass me on the wrong side of the street.  My wife came home exclaiming, " a careless driver in a pickup truck almost collided with the front of my car!" While working, I adhered to strict driving routes. There were instances of rolling through stop signs and similar behaviors, but recently, it seems that the general attitude towards road laws has shifted towards neglect. Every time I see police lights flashing recently, I want to cheer, "They are doing something!"

But I digress.....

My point is we will probably lose our current vehicles to accidents far sooner than 200,000 miles or 15 years, even driving hyper-defensively as most do not. Is this phenomenon limited to my state, or has the Mad Max show become widespread across the country?  Notice a pattern with our Toyotas over the last couple of decades? I was the person involved in the incident in the parking lot with the '99 Toyota, and I tend to become overly defensive if there is such a thing.  My family argues that there is. 

I wonder how individuals manage the expense of drag racing at every green light and then abruptly stopping at the next red light. Such behavior would lead to frequent replacements of tires, brakes and motor mounts, not to mention the cost of fuel. It's likely that transmissions and suspension components would also suffer from this kind of abuse.  How does their car insurance not go through the roof driving this way all the time? Is the police funding significantly reduced?

Truth: Regardless of fault, regular drivers may experience a car accident once every decade. That was in the past. This frequency could increase with the prevalent reckless speeding. Moreover, it doesn't require a significant collision for a car to be considered a total loss these days. Often, if your airbag deploys, it could mean the end for your vehicle. That's one of the reasons I plan to put less and less money toward vehicles in retirement.  I just don't see putting much value in a menial transportation device that can be destroyed in an instant, by a willfully unaware person.  It's a loser's game and pretty unwise or illogical if you ponder on it.

We'll talk on this more later.  I'm tired.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

My Quest for Truth

Why Movie Attendance is Dropping

  Let's Go to the Movies! When I was around ten years old some of the best movies ever made were put on the big screen.  In fact, I reme...

Everything is Dirt